Friday 10 February 2012

Wifi!


Our school got WIFI in October.  And not just your standard WIFI but ‘let’s see how hard we can push this, non password resitriced wifi’.  Again this was exciting, and again portable city was not going to be included.  Can’t blame them, it kind of made sense, only 4 portables (aka classrooms) outside, sounds like a wiring nightmare.  While others were discussing the brilliance of this new tool I was creating more overhead transparencies. 
          The installation school wide took a couple of days, the emails were informative, but I brushed them all off, at least not having any classroom disruptions was one bonus.  Until the knock on my door…..where two lovely folks entered with a modem, some cords and tools and told me they were there to install the WIFI! While my Socials 10 class continued working in groups, these welcome souls efficiently installed my WIFI….in the portable! 


       Now, I was skeptical.  They removed my wired connection, and said not to worry that the wireless would be up shortly.  Effectively  leaving me without any sort of connection I defaulted to AHHH I’m never going to have internet in my portable again!  Now this may sound irrational, but I had just taught at a school where NONE of their 8 portables had ANY kind of internet connection, wired or not!  I calmed myself and when nothing had happened at the end of the day I thought that maybe I just needed more patience.  I was fully prepared for this to be a ‘we tried to get it out there but it just isn’t working’ scenario.
    
     When I arrived to work the next day I started up the computer early, thinking that I would need to hustle inside to check my morning emails.  While the computer whirled and wooed I set my usual stuff up for the day only to notice a new little blinking notification on my computer….not only was I connected to the WIFI but the single was <gulp> strong! 

No comments:

Post a Comment